Antique Navajo (?) ring with bison head mark

Hello from Belgium! Anyone that can help me identifying this beautiful ring? My parents bought it in the late 1970 in the southwest. It was presumed an antique Navajo ring with spiderweb turquoise. It is marked on the inside with a bison head, no other marks. I hope the pictures are clear enough. I am curious about the age, the maker and the stone and if there any symbolic meanings. It holds great sentimental value to me and i would love to know more of it’s history.

Kind regards,
Karen

1 Like

So I have a little more information. My dad bought the ring in Santa Fe NM somewhere between 1975 and 1978. It was sold as Navajo and as ‘not new but owned before’ and maybe ten years old or more, this was unclear. No info on the previous owner. Bought in an authentic shop, my dad didn’t think it was pawned. I do hope it wasn’t… If the previous owner would have sold it because of hard times that would be very sad, my heart goes out to send prayers. I guess I would like to know more about this ring so I know where to direct my prayers… I have always felt deeply for the Native Americans since as a little kid I learned of their history and the absolute horrible way they were treated. Makes me very ashamed to be European.

Hello, thank you for sharing. I would have never guessed this ring to be that old. If your parents did buy it in the late 1970s it would have been new then. The reason I say this is because of the twisted wire around the stone. The technique of taking a single piece of wire and twisting it with a drill you just don’t see on old pieces. It would be a very time consuming process of drawing the wire and then using the drill and vice. Much quicker to take to easy to manage round wires and twist together. Also, the piece of Number Eight Turquoise in the ring has a more recent blue and golden web color. You think of the old Number Eight having a deeper blue with a black webbed matrix. I could not find anything on the hallmark. This ring looks like a really well made piece. If you had something like this from say a Tommy Jackson it would be around $225 - $300, hope this helps.

1 Like

Jason, thank you so much for your time and effort! I very much appreciate it and am thrilled to know more! I’ve looked at so many pictures and also came to think the ring is too well made to be much older than 1970’s. Also couldn’t decide if the stone was number 8 or not, with my untrained eyes. So the hallmark remains a mystery :slight_smile: I have wondered if it is a hallmark after all, because it is so detailed, large and well set. I am proud to wear this ring!

Kind regards,
Karen