Hallmark assistance

I thought it better to list them all in one go. Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

The first bolo is made from a template. I don’ t believe that is a hallmark. Many times several different people use the same pattern. You can tell this one was designed to be made with or without a stone. The eagle, I don’t know. The thought is it is Tommy Singer, uses an S and that crescent moon shape. However, we do seem to have an expert on the forum and you should seek his thoughts out. The eagle throws you off, you think of his work being more Native American Church symbols, like the next bolo. This peyote bird is interesting. I find a hallmark H.L. Tom for a smith that worked in the 1970s and did chip inlay. However, on the same page is a hallmark JT for Mary and Jack Tom. They use a IHM (Indian Handmade) mark, yours has a Hand Made Indian Jewelry mark. Mary Tom is the sister of Steven J. Begay who is a relative of Tommy Singer. Steven began his jewelry career working for Tommy Singer as a bench smith and many silversmiths who are from the Holbrook/Winslow area made chip inlay for Tommy Singer during the 1970s - 80s. Couldn’t find anything on the next one, believe it is not Hopi. All of the pieces seem to have some age?

1 Like

I was searching for another hallmark and came across your HMIJ mark, attributed to Ortegas, so must be a bench smith for them.

You have some nice looking pieces. The eagle is cool but I think I like the corn buckle the best.

1 Like

Yes I saw that it was Ortega Enterprises, just was hoping someone might have known a TOM that worked there and did this style.

I too wondered about the maize plant not being quite Hopi. More like an attempt at Hopi…
That concho belt has some really bizzy work on it, but I could really find a smith with the initials MM that did this kind of work.

Yes I believe you are correct about them having age. Thanks as always Jason!