Help with Naja Pendant and Bead Necklace

Looking for evaluation on the turquoise type, age and beads. I have read the topics on Navajo Pearls but still can’t distinguish between hand made and machine made. I don’t see a distinct line in the beads and what is there I would not consider it to be a straight line. I bought this hoping to ease into maybe a full squash blossom necklace at some point but I am having a hard time with how large the necklaces can be. I also still prefer the hand made chain link necklaces to the Navajo pearls even though I have a few now. Thanks Much Darlene

Do you possibly have better images? The stones could possibly be Bisbee, the beads are just out of focus.

Hi Jason,
I took some pictures trying to get them with better magnification. Sorry I was lazy and added the pictures from when I purchased in my first post. I see in my pictures a line on the beads although the lines are pretty wonky maybe they weren’t very well made. So these must be machine made not handmade?

With my pictures are you better able to identify the turquoise? It was tagged Morenci when purchased but I don’t see any silver pyrite like I do in my other piece of Morenci. Would the value be more if Bisbee? Or are they pretty comparable.Thanks Darlene

I’m not an expert but have been buying squash blossoms over the years. If I had to guess, I would say that your necklace has some quite lovely and quite valuable smoky Bisbee. Might possibly be Blue Diamond turquoise instead, but I’m pretty sure it’s the Bisbee. It looks like Navajo handmade, possibly from the 1960’s, give or take a few years.

Hi jilleclear626
Thanks so much for responding to my post. It’s good news that it might be Bisbee. I would love to see your squash blossom necklaces.

I am seeing iron pyrite and quartz in this last stone, is this accurate?

Hi Jason,
Some of that is coming from my lighting source. I don’t see any pyrite with my naked eye but see what could be flecks with a magnifier. Are you thinking maybe Morenci instead? Does Morenci have red tones as one of the stones definatelly has red in it. I have included a few more pictures taken in natural light. Also what was your conclusion on the beads?

I have a greenish yellow stone that I will also post. I read Bisbee can also come in green. Thanks Darlene

Hi Currada, Thanks for asking. I’m not great at technology and attaching photo’s. I’m not sure if this will work, but thought that maybe I could connect through a link from a recent Ebay purchase:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NAVAJO-CROW-SPRINGS-SQUASH-BLOSSOM/183151090340
There are a number of photo’s (although not great ones) with the listing.
This is the first I’ve seen of “Crow Springs Turquoise.” I’m not quite sure that it is Crow Springs, although the seller claims so. There’s such a variance in the stones I’ve pulled up pictures of, and not as many samples I can find. I do love the look of it, though.
Unfortunately, one stone arrived broken. I brought it into a local jeweler and he can replace it for $85, but I have yet to see the replacement turquoise. He scared me when he said they would just cut it from a block. I questioned if it is block turquoise, as in compounded with epoxy. He said no, but I’m not sure. He made a point of saying that jewelers believe the plain bright blue turquoise to be the best kind and look down up anything with lines (what I would call matrix). I said that the ones with a complex matrix I’ve seen go for a lot more on Ebay than say other kinds. It might just be a matter of personal taste. I have some Sleeping Beauty which is plain and bright blue and quite pretty, but I have to say that I find a number of other turquoises to be far more interesting. The jeweler considers liking a variety of turquoise something of a fad. I think he’s wrong. I was wearing a favorite squash blossom of mine with Royston turquoise. Another jeweler there said he had boxes full of that kind he sold cheap to people making jewelry from it. I left kind of questioning what I know about turquoise, but I do believe these modern jeweler’s just don’t know vintage Native American art and the various turquoise mines. I’m really thinking that I may just leave the broken stone in there and hope it holds, I’m kind of thinking that it might be more valuable with the original one it came with. Any thoughts?

1 Like

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGNED-OLD-PAWN-NATIVE-AMERICAN-STERLING-SILVER-TURQUOISE-SQUASH-BLOSSOM-L19/232671716080?ssPageName=S
By the way, this is the Royston turquoise necklace I was wearing when the jeweler commented that the turquoise was really common and I guess cheap. I really love this piece. It has a tiny bear in the center and I think the silver work is lovely as well as the turquoise. I appreciate the artistry. It’s always nice when both the turquoise and the silver work go well together. Sometimes I will love one but not the other. I believe that this is well balanced between the two. I have some thoughts on who I believe the artist might be, but won’t go into that now. I’m not sure if this site is concerned with the artist or not. I’m new to this site. In any case, sometimes something of a mystery trying to trace the Native American hallmarks.

1 Like

I wondered if you’ve ever visited the above site for info on Bisbee (which can have deep blues with brown or reddish spider webbing). Just thinking it’s a good reference site. Basalt turquoise is also dark blue and has some reddish brown webbing. It’s somewhat rare, but another possibility. I’m still thinking Bisbee, though as I said, I’m not an expert. Here’s another link:

These are both beautiful pieces. If you decide to make the repair I would go with someone who specializes in Native American jeweIry. Jason on this site from Perry Null has stated they do repairs. You can reach out to him for a quote. I believe there are also other posts on this site of recommend repair shops. Brick an mortar jewelers don’t really specialize in this type of thing.

You can also get help with your hallmarks if you post them maybe someone will have come across them before or will have reference books that will help.

Thank you for the suggestions! I wonder where Jason’s shop is located? I have spoken with two Native American shops near me, but neither did repairs. But I think you’re right, going to a regular jeweler might not be the best idea. I may just leave it the way it is for now. Legend has it that if a piece of turquoise cracks it was because it was protecting its wearer. Nice idea anyway. Thanks again!
----Jill

This is from an earlier post & refers to a smaller stone, I believe.

Thanks Pete. I know I saw it posted at one time.

Wow, I don’t know how they can do it for that. Being a control freak, I’d want to select the stone first. Think I may leave it the way it is for now. It’s cracked and a chunk missing, but still there, and I have begun to wonder if it’s best to keep it all original. But it’s good to know that this service is offered at a reasonable price. Thank you for your time! —Jill

Like I said, I believe that was for a Smaller Stone! Lol

Not sure if you have had a chance to look at this post again. It got sidetracked with comments by other members. With the additional pictures that I posted would you lean towards Morenci or Bisbee? Also how about the pearls handmade or machine? Would you estimate this from the 70’s?
Thanks so much for your help?
Darlene

The image of the stone by itself, the closeup is not bisbee. The beads have age and are worn and that gives them a very different look from when it was first strung, but I would say they are machine beads.

That helps. It was marked Morenci when purchased but it doesn’t have the heavy iron pyrite that my other bracelet has so that is why I questioned their assessment. My other bracelet is straight blue with no other colors in the mix so it’s a lot easier to see the pyrite.