Is this Coral or something else?

Can anyone tell me if this is coral or not? It looks like lava rock from my back flower beds. The beads seem to be brass as well as the closure pieces and I can’t tell exactly what it is strung on, seems to be fibrous though. It weighs 182 g. and hangs about 12 in. Laid flat and straight it is 25 in. from tip to tip. Also any ideas as to age and is the turquoise real?

Hopefully it is this. :grinning:

1 Like

I believe this to be Apple Sponge Coral.

Vintage KEWA Sterling Silver SPONGE CORAL & TURQUOISE Disc Bead NECKLACE

https://ebay.to/2yr6H6o

1 Like

Definitely Coral. I run into this white look quite a bit. I think it may be due to chemical baths for cleaning. Good example of what not to use TarnX on! I have managed to get some color back using both olive oil and WD40, never really comes back 100% though.

2 Likes

Coral is the calcareous skeletons of marine animals. Before the material is thoroughly cleaned, sealed and polished you would expect to see just what is seen in your piece. The Native Americans began using coral in jewelry making 600 years ago. After a little study, I found this to be in the style of the Kewa Pueblo of New Mexico, formerly known as Santo Domingo Pueblo. These artists are known for centuries of stonework jewelry. Your necklace looks to be completely handmade with rough beautiful coral and turquoise in very good condition. If it were mine I would not put oil on the piece which will more than likely discolor the stones and may also weaken and stain the string the piece is strung on. A light cleaning with slightly water damp lint free cloth and air dry would adequate.

3 Likes