Is this stone damaged or is this natural?

I bought this bow guard in Albuquerque, and I have always wondered about the stone. The colors transition from a medium blue but suddenly turns to a pale, light blue hue. I have wondered if this is typical of any type of turquoise? The texture of the stone is the same throughout. I have just wondered if perhaps someone accidentally used jewelry polish on the stone, causing it to look bleached. Any info helps!

Wonderfil Bow Guard! Looks to be Blue Mine or Arizona Turquoise. I would say it’s simply the way it is. As all stones degrade ( Humble opinion ), they take on age. Changeling to a green hue, taking in body pil, etc. If it is Unstablized, or if your concerned, I own a 1930s Native Turquise Ring I brought to my Jeweler to be Stabalized with epoxy. Often, gold leave was used. Most people tend to simply coat it in Finger Nail Polish. I don’t recommend this, others would.

1 Like

Thanks for your input! I bought it at a pawn shop and I always assumed that someone was carelessly polishing the metal and accidentally got some on the stone.

1 Like

I understand completely. Similar shade, Coin Silver Belt Buckle. Polished often,

1 Like

You are so lucky to have a whirling log design on the bow guard!! :heart_eyes: I love the whirling log design, unfortunately people today equate the design with a different meaning :disappointed: that’s a great piece to have in a collection

1 Like

No on that I would be called a liar, this is a hand hammered coin Belt Buckle. I just wear it a lot, so it’s pol I shed, & buffed from use.I put it up to show you why the Turquoise made me think of that mine. The works seem to be from same time as well.

1 Like

On people, I shall forever stay shrouded in Neutrality…the swing going high only when I kick my legs at them…
I will quote a far wiser man : "When rich people fight wars with one another, poor people are the ones to die. " - Jean-Paul Satre

1 Like

Not everyone is quote so iggnorant about the past,

Heat will also whiten turquoise.

1 Like

I believe it will also fade if exposed to the sun, which may be the heat factor, too.

1 Like

Karne I did not know this! That would also make sense… when I first saw it, it was in a glass display case that was partially hit by direct sun light

@bartleby I see now, it looked like a close up on a bow guard. It’s still a great piece!!!