Just a simple basic question - balls of silver

I was wondering if there is a “technical” term for the blobs or balls of silver you so often see applied to the setting of a ring or pendent especially on the Navajo jewelry. I have a man’s ring with 3 balls on the bottom and 7 balls on the top. Is there any significance to them other than decoration?

One of the best forums on the web - so glad I just happened on to it. Now it has it’s own icon on my desktop.

JP

1 Like

I believe they are called raindrops, but some describe them as applique balls. Someone who knows more
can verify this if correct.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply - I did recall after you said that, the term “raindrops” and I do believe that’s it.

JP

1 Like

I hear the raindrops, go back to Navajo, the name I hear most often is Navajo Pearls. This might just be necklaces or just Navajo items. I was told Native Silver was long ago, pre Harvey Girls, pre railroad, etc. The silver was originally inspired by the Spanish adornment on horses. I assume reins, saddle, stirrups, the thongs had Concha on leather thongs. I was told this by a Anglo who has a family that sold Jewelry in San Francisco back to his Grandmother. I would love to know if he was right, close, or wrong. Note, William Spratling, Anglo in Mexico 1930s, made some Aztec inspired Balls, raindrops, etc. As did many silversmith’s in Taxco Mexico. Some are lovely. Best 2 All.

1 Like