Looking to identify maker and value for silver and coral 4 piece set

Hello, I have a 4 piece set that is Native American made. To me it is a stunning set. It includes a necklace that measures 14 in. in length, cuff bracelet ,ring and earrings.The flowers measure 1 1/4 x 1 in. The necklace is heavy the whole set weights 5.3 oz. There are no marks or stamps. There are no repairs. I think it is Navajo made but not sure It truly is different than the traditional sothwestern jewelry.It does need a good polishing.

6 Likes

Wow! That’s a gorgeous set! I want one…lol
Be still my heart…it is probably Navajo made and the coral is nice and very red, its probably 40’s or a little later…Unsigned was typical of that period but this style Squash and coral with the stylized Feathers is definitely the signature style of a certain artist but I need to do more research to figure that out and I would need to see the pieces up close to be sure once I matched up all of the facts… the clip-on’s, primitive clasp, and heft of the silver are right for the earlier jewelry…having a whole set is pretty rare to find still together. If I were selling this I would probably value it at about $2500-3000 for the set
Enjoy it! Btw…How did you come to own this set?
Koliopee

2 Likes

This coral squash I also have. why are there 2?
Just now saw this old conversation. The bracelet was not with this but the ring and earrings are, does this help?
There is a worn price in felt pen. is this an “E yazzie”?
I purchased this at an estate auction in MO for about $400.
I love it. length is short at about 17". am considering a purchase of bench beads to make a removable extension w/o changing piece.

1 Like

There are two because the artist must make a living, and it makes sense to repeat a successful design that brings sales.

Of course they won’t be completely identical because they are handmade and they incorporate a natural material, which will always have different variations in color and striations and wormholes & etc.

In my experience, artists in all mediums have different ideals about their art.

Some have the “one and done” ideal, which is closer to traditional notions of fine art; for example, there is only one Mona Lisa. If you are executing on one particular vision that you had, and want to portray it in only one work, you will work that way. If your art focuses on finding fine specimens of turquoise, and your goal is to show off the individual stone that you manage to obtain, your work will change each time according to the stone.

Some artists have a workmanlike notion, which is closer to traditional notions of craft, and they will repeatedly execute on a fine design or motif which they become known for. Jason remarked on the latter practice in another post – he said many Zuni artists work that way. But it isn’t just Zuni artists. It makes sense for a piece like yours, I think. Coral cabochons have variations but they look more alike than individual stones with matrix patterns.

2 Likes

Thank You for your reply. I can understand the creative practice, I sometimes forget: that Money making is very important. I would create if I got paid or not, I prefer to be paid!

I really appreciate this site and the experienced members. I would never have the opportunity to ask my questions otherwise.

1 Like