Magnificent/Huge Turquoise Set

This is a beautiful Turquoise set made by Scott & Patsy Munday from the Kingman mine in Arizona. I bought it 10 years ago on eBay. Bracelet is 3”X 2 1/2”
Buckle is 3”X 3”
Pendant is 3”X 2 1/2”
Ring is size 7 3/4-2” X 1 3/8”
Weight is 350 grams
Love this set & this color! Not wanting to sell but would love to know the value. Thanks!

4 Likes

That is quite an ensemble! I wouldn’t want to part with it either.

1 Like

Thank you @Islandmomma . That’s my only wow set & I love it! I don’t know much about the jewelry like most of you here but this site has stirred up a need to learn about it. I’ve always loved it & enjoy wearing it. :heart:

1 Like

The color in that turquoise is stunning, I hope you wear it every chance you get!!!

1 Like

Thank you @Dana ! The color is really beautiful & I’ve worn them several times. Probably not enough but I’ve taken them out & admired them many times. :slight_smile:

I would love to get an idea of value on this set if anyone knows please. They are large pieces with heavy sterling & a lot of turquoise. Thank you!

@Bet I am assuming that you purchased the set directly from them? Do you mind sharing when and how much?

Hi @Jason , I bought this set in 2008 on eBay from that elderly couple in Arizona (he was 75 then) that made turquoise jewelry from the Kingman mine. I didn’t know them personally. They made this set in 1978. I posted their eBay add with my pics. I ended it early with Buy It Now for $250. I believed it was worth much more than that back then but I really don’t know. I’ve never had anyone look at it or the other pieces I bought from them. I just think they are beautiful! it’s my birthstone. I wish I owned a lot more!

Wow, That is an amazing buy! I found this write up on Patsys passing. It talks about her life and how talented she was.

1 Like

Yes it was Currada! The price just sounds crazy! So glad and thank you for finding that article! He said in an email in 2008 that she was in bad health and that’s why they were selling some of her personal handmade jewelry. I was fortunate to buy some other pieces of hers they made that aren’t turquoise as well back then.

What an outstanding ensemble and for an unbelievably low price, given the hand carving. Congratulations on such a great eBay find!

1 Like

1 Like

I don’t know how collectible their work is, so I am going to approach the pieces looking at material, size and design. The pieces are big, it doesn’t appear from the images that the artists used a heavy silver, little over 10 troy ounces. Those are good looking stones and are going to be a lot of the weight, think something like 150 carats to a troy ounce. I bet we have something around 400 - 500 carats, a guess. Might be something like Turquoise Mountain, $200. Those inlay bird inserts aren’t going to have much of a value, lets say $10 each. That leaves something like $150 in silver. So, we are maybe something like $400 in material. All of these stones match well, it took some time to collect and find these stones, it would be much harder today. It is a cross Navajo/Zuni style made by what I am assuming are anglo silversmiths. Artists charge different rates, this is the collectibility factor. I would imagine something around $1000 for the set makes sense. I don’t know if this made any sense, I am confused now.

3 Likes

I loved that last sentence Jason lol! Priceless! It made sense to me. I’ve never seen or met the artisans so I don’t know what they are :slight_smile: I don’t know if they made jewelry to sell or just made personal pieces. I have no clue but your price sounds good to me! I wouldn’t know where to take it to have it evaluated. You are one in a million to do what you for strangers! Thank you so much!!

1 Like

So great to see pieces, learn about them and the stories behind those who are caring for them now!

1 Like

Yes, very interesting getting to see and hear the stories of many unique pieces and having experts here willing to share their knowledge with us is great! Love this site!

Several more handmade sterling/natural stone pieces I bought from them in 2008.( He gave me the nuggets) :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes