My Favorite Bolo

3 Likes

This is an awesome bolo. What can you tell us about it? How old, the maker, and marks?

It was a “rescue”… when I bough it, it was a pin and earrings. Fortunately the handmade bolo findings were not removed. Was unsure whether or not to remove the pin findings, so as of now they are still there. The maker’s mark is on the left, but I don’t recognize it. Looks like CCW.

Wow that is a beautiful set/bolo! I want one! :joy:

1 Like

Thank you! It is my favorite. I love my bolos. I get more comliments on them, than any other type of jewelry I wear. Don’t know why more women don’t wear them!?!?

I’m with you. Bolos make great necklaces and as a rule are less expensive. I wear them often and have a good many. None, however, nearly as fancy as that spectacular one you posted pictures of. It is awesome. Thanks for letting us admire it.

1 Like

Great idea using the earrings as " bobbers " on the end! Nice job of keeping a old work alive. Love it.

It was a bolo originally. Someone had it converted into a pin and earrings. I just put it back to the way it was. I have used earrings as tips to finish off a bolo; it can be tough to find a good match. Shame that people remove the matching tips to make a pair of earrings.

1 Like

This piece has had quite a life! Ouch, the idea of people tearing apart NA Jewelry is never much but sad. I had not yet thought or heard of people removing what I call bobbers & selling them as I guess NA earrings? I am familiar with Jewelers removing gemstone grade turquoise from hand hammered coin silver. As they pieces are not selling,etc. Sad indeed. On a happy note, that’s a wonderful job! I am interested in learning how to fix small jewelry. I have a feeling this is harder than I think as I have never welded. If I may ask, was a weld nescassary to add the back, or can one glue,etc?

With silver, it’s soldering, not welding. And yes, it’s quite tricky to do repairs on these pieces. Turquoise, like many stones can not take the heat of soldering. In the case of this bolo, it was easy. No soldering needed. I had to purchase the braided leather, bolo tips with loops on the ends. Then it was just a matter of attaching everything. Only needed pliers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the reply! Not sure if u know, but a jeweler charges 40$ to remove old silver antique clasps, clips,etc, on earrings. Keep that silver, then supposedly " laser weld " the post. What is a rational cost? Is laser welding used or is he hamming me up? Best

Laser soldering is legit! Many times it’s the only option as it doesn’t expose the stones to heat. I’ve saved many a vintage piece from the scrap pile with a laser repair. You are lucky to have access to someone who can do laser soldering; the machines are very expensive. The cost you are being quoted is only part for the laser weld and the posts. It sounds like you are asking him to remove old parts and clean up. That has to be done by hand and is part of the cost. The silver he is “keeping” is scrap and not worth much.

1 Like

I had a feeling he was being honest. In a City it’s hard to find someone to trust. I thank you for the assurance. Good point, I tried selling silver as a boy for weight, lol at that experience. The items he has redone are Native American or Designers from Taxco, such as Margot de Taxco, etc. Great to get some good news, best.

1 Like

Just WOW. Beautiful!

Thanks Molly, it’s still my fave!

1 Like