Real or Synthetic Turquoise

You have been so kind in answering any other questions I have had on Native American pieces. This is a pendant made in Mexico. May I please ask your expertise on whether this is a real piece of turquoise? I have been told it looks lab created but see pieces by this company/individual using real gemstones in the same setting. Thank you in advance for looking.

1 Like

It is always difficult to tell from a picture. If I guessed I would say this is not a real piece of turquoise. The matrix doesn’t seem right and the stone as the look of pieces we see that are not real. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Shub,

There is an at- home turquoise test you can do to see if this is a real stone.

Heat up the pointed tip of a sewing needle over a candle or stove. Carefefully but firmly press the needle into the stone. A true turquoise stone will be unaffected by the needle, whereas a resin or faux stone will have a small needle hole from where the needle was applied.

Pro’s: you can find out if you have an authentic piece of turquoise.

Con’s: if it a resin or faux stone, your pendant now has a small needle hole in the stone.

Also, just because this may not look like turquoise, that does not mean that this may not be another stone. Hard to tell from the pic. Hope you find this useful!

1 Like

usually the matrix part is softer and will dent slightly during polishing. if you find you spiderweb turquoise perfectly flat, you know something is wrong:grin:

It kind of has a look to me as if it might be dyed howlite?