Stone fetish necklace with hang tag hallmark

This also belonged to my late friend. Her daughter can’t remember the maker but says they used to see him (?) making them when they were at shows. Then necklace is long; 32” from hook to bottom of bear fetish. The fetishes themselves are carved from some type of stone and are decorated like a regular fetish. They range in size from

approximately 1 1/2” to 2 1/2” and a couple have some damage. Especially the top right armadillo?
I think the hang tag has the initials R.U. but am not sure since I’ve had no luck researching that.
I’m interested in finding out if the necklace is Native American, who the maker is and what kind of value it might have considering the damage.

3 Likes

I have searched and can’t find anything to give you a name. This is a Zuni fetish necklace and the material is serpentine. Value could depend on the maker, if you find out who this is and they are collectible it could be more valuable then what I am thinking. In some ways this necklace style is a dying art, we don’t see many and the few we do can be expensive. It is hard to give this older piece a price, but I imagine if we had it would be around $450.

1 Like

That’s awesome news. I will torture my friend until she finally remembers the persons name. Sure wish her Mother was still with us because I’m certain that she could tell me. It is a wonderful necklace that she always wore with pride.

1 Like