What looks like crow bird sterling OLD pendant?

Anyone seen the style of work in this bird pendant? Measures 2" x .75" and is unmarked -looks like a crow. There is a lot of touch wear that shows it was worn for a good while. I show the arrow that accompanies the bird in this lot because sometimes pieces that have been together may help tell about each other. Would you call this stone chip work or plastic, import or domestic? Both pieces look like they have age? What would you date? Looking to learn anything at all about either. Thanks all.

Both of these pendants are better described as “southwestern” rather than Native American. I am not even sure the bird pendant’s motif is considered southwestern- but regardless, they are both going to be manufactured pieces. The arrowhead pendant may have had the chip Inlay applied by hand. These pieces are heavily patinaed, however they are not old. The arrowhead is no earlier than 1980’s, and the bird is a modern piece. I sometimes purchase silver from vendors who find vintage pieces and copy them in a mold, and reproduce the piece. That’s why even though the bird pendant is modern, it looks like it has a lot of wear- due to the fact that the piece was copied so many times in the same mold, so it loses some detail.

I can now see exactly what you are saying. Thank you Bigbree as always. Sara

BAD FORM !!! I find that it is bad form to post photos from auctions sites for items that are currently up for auction. Especially when you are seeking information that may lead to you purchasing the item. Quite honestly the fact that you posted this shows your lack of experience! I personally have a love for Turquoise and all things Native American, that is why I patron this site. I have stopped posting as much because of just this reason! I would love for there to be a quid pro quo on this site! Too many people are not contributing and just taking away! :cry:

1 Like

I’m sorry to offend you. I did not imagine this was a show and tell site only. As retailers, I thought discussing items for purchase for knowledge’s sake would be appreciated. Believe me when I say I look at hundreds of items made in the same image, style and form for sale each day and occasionally I have a purely educational question for the unusual which in my mind is a form of contributing. Sara

1 Like

This forum was created to introduce people to Southwest Native American art, and for those who have a knowledge of the arts to share. Christibo is knowledgable and it is nice that he shares. I understand sharing things that are from the internet and for sale to learn more. Hopefully, as we learn more we find more people sharing information here on the forum.

2 Likes