Who is artist and what type of turquoise

I’m thinking you have the ring too close to the camera on the last 2 pics showing the hallmark… they are out of focus & can’t be seen clearly! Can you take a couple more from a few inches back, like in the first 2 pics & post them here again? It would help a lot!!

I added another pic with the initials a lot more clear. Thank you for your help!

I’m still struggling. Can you type it out here? What are the letters? Looks like all caps.

I’m struggling the same way. I couldn’t make it out myself. The first letter looks like J

I blew it up & turned it around…

Does it say ‘ZUNI’? Maybe a part it has worn off?

Hmm… probably the best view I can get out of it!

I would not have guessed that this was Zuni work. The “Z” is weird-looking but maybe it is worn off.

The silver frame around this ring is kind of interesting because half is a rope twist and the other half is stamped or filed with half-moons.

Thank you Pete! It does appear to possibly say Zuni. It just doesn’t look like their type of work. It’s hard to say. Thank you so much for your efforts on this piece! :blush:

Yes the frame is interesting. Part rope and then the half moons. I thought maybe someone would know by the way it was made using rope and half moons. The initials or name is hard to make out.

This ring was purchased in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Tulsa is the headquarters of the Cherokee Indians. I don’t know if that helps in the rings discovery info or not

I can’t imagine that being ZUNI. Do you find jewelry made by Cherokee artists there?

I don’t think it’s Zuni either. I’m not sure who made it. I just mentioned Cherokee territory because that was the area it was purchased in but since it belonged to a friend that gifted it to me I don’t know much about it.

At 1st glance I thought it looked like a Navajo piece & I saw ‘PUNT’… that 1st (or last) letter looks very odd.

Yes it is hard to tell what it says. I appreciate everyone’s efforts. It may be one we can’t figure out.

To me the first letter looks like an R or B (looks like you can see part of the bottom stroke of the letter, and the last letter looks like a partial stamp of a D , Rund or Bund ?

This could possibly be a STERLING stamp, part of the ring band is covering the STE and we are seeing the RLING, it just wasn’t a clear strike when made. Look at the mark in the image of the link, possible. The ring definitely has a Navajo look.

1 Like

Hello, I haven’t commented before, and have NO authority for my opinion. But could I point out that the Cherokee language has a syllabary, different from the English alphabet–so it could be a Cherokee word or name, if in fact it is a Cherokee work.

Doesn’t look like a Cherokee word. Cherokee letters are very deliberate, with little room for error. It is printed not cursive.
While Tulsa is in Cherokee Country, Tahlequah Oklahoma is the HQ of the Cherokee Nation and is in Cherokee County. I grew up there as a boy. Other than my Grandfather there was only one other doing anything with silver. In my years of living in Tulsa and Tahlequah I never ran across any sterling jewelry by other Cherokees. Times change though…who knows. image below of the alphabet.

3 Likes

Thank you for a more informed response to my comment. I love reading the conversations here. People have so much knowledge.