Turquoise type assitance

I thought maybe I could garner a better response if I put a bunch of stuff together. Really just looking to identify the Turquoise types, but feel free with any other thoughts…

1 Like

I hope someone can identify it too. I have a bolo that had turquoise like your triangular one. I especially like the last piece. Buckle or brooch?

Thats a buckle. I have run across this type of Turquoise before, but have never been able to Identify it.

The 4th piece (a buckle, I believe) looks like it was made by one of the famous Iule family (which includes many people with the last name Iule as well as a husband and wife named Leekity). The patriarch was Horace and his works command the highest prices, but all of their jewelry is collectible.

I should have said the fourth photo from the top rather than the fourth piece.

Turquoise can be very difficult to identify, especially when you don’t have a stone with a strong characteristic associated with a particular mine.

nugget beads I would call Kingman, cluster ring I am not sure you have all the same types there but what you do have is so small it would be difficult to determine, Zuni artists prefer that clear blue color and that is why Lone Mountain was so frequently used, I would guess this is something like morenci or castle dome, this stone I believe didn’t start out looking like this (color has changed) royal blue Royston?, turquoise mountain, Kingman, next two are pretty stabilized going to be difficult, the cluster bracelet seems to have gone through some transformation in color but the turquoise is really nice, if you are tired of Kingman (which it most likely is) you could hope for something like blue diamond.

2 Likes

And now I know why I have so much trouble with Identifying Turquoise! Thanks Jason, enlightening as usual! my education continues. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ugh, I don’t think I will ever learn… I always get so frustrated. Perhaps I just really need to focus on learning the different types.